"Throw a Tea Party" Scone Recipe
2 C. Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Shortening
1/4 to 1/2 C. Milk
1. Mix together the dry ingredients and shortening
2. Rub in the flour with your fingertips until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
3. Beat the egg until it froths, and set 1 tbsp. of it aside in a small dish. Beat the milk into the remainder of the egg and pur it over the flour mixture. Use just enough milk to make a soft dough.
4. Mix together until the dough can be gathered into a compact ball.
5. Dust the dough lightly with flour and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 3/4 inch. Cut into triangles or 2-inch rounds. Re-roll the scraps and cut them until all the dough is used.
6. Place the scones 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet and brush the tops with the reserved beaten egg.
7. Bake them on the middle rack of a 400° oven for 15 minutes or until they are light brown. Serve immediately with Laurel Hill Jam. Scrumptious!
(Recipe courtesy of Dining with Sherlock Holmes: A Baker Street Cookbook)